Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Lesson from a Non-Diva

For some reason, my muse is writing several blogs at once....(no, I do not believe in literal muses.)

Just for fun, though, let me update you on my sugar ants. They have been GONE for two months! I tried Keila's suggestion about a sugar solution mixed with Borax. It works so well and very quickly. Such relief.

It's very possible they've just moved next door to my neighbor's house. Maybe I should slip the recipe for sugar ant destruction in her mailbox?

Here's what I've been composing in my heart and head since last night. A little background is necessary-- especially for the other blog that the muse is writing.

I've been a fan of musical theater my whole life. If I could live my life as a musical, I would. Sometimes there is a pause in conversation that simply begs for a musical cue and melody. I'm quite positive that my life would have been without blemish if during the darkest of moments dancers had simply appeared and lifted me without effort. I would belt out my tune and simultaneously solve my momentary dilemma.

As a season subscriber to a Dallas theater company, I received advance opportunity back in March to purchase Kristin Chenoweth tickets. Kristin is a Jedi Master in musical theater. Without hesitation I bought the best seats available. (Yes, Mom, they were very expensive.) I immediately texted my dear friend Patty Breckenridge and invited her.

Patty was my instant choice because she is truly a star in her own right, not only as an accomplished, award winning actor and singer; more, as a stellar human being. I knew that she would match or surpass my enthusiasm--that's a task.

I've known Patty since she was in elementary school. I cherish time with her. My face and abs will often hurt after I've been with her because I've laughed so hard at her spot on impersonations of her family, even me. I'll often have learned an important life lesson or have something profound to chew on based on a comment she has made.

Another dear friend who knows Patty well saw Kristin in Houston the night before us. She texted and said, "Tell Patty to brush up on Elphaba's part in "For Good" for a duet with Kristin. They had four people near the front and Kristen picked the one who answered with confidence that she knew the part!" That text was copied and sent to Patty post haste.

I made up my mind that I would do whatever necessary to get Patty on that stage. That would include losing all sense of dignity and squandering meager self esteem to be noticed, loud, and oddly charming enough to convince Kristin that Patty was her girl.

I only needed to convince Patty. Much more, I wanted to make sure she really wanted me to risk my public humiliation to sing with Kristin.

Tunnel vision and creativity are both my friends and enemies. I chose to employ every method possible to convince Patty. These included, but were not limited to manipulation and strong arming. Although I had no input on her wardrobe choice, we both laughed aloud when I let her know I was glad she was Dallas snappy casual. L- "You won't look like you were planning to be on stage." (Which, of course she wasn't.)

True Kristin fans always have Wicked downloaded on their phones ready for car sing alongs. Patty humored me and "warmed up" in the car. At one point, I got to be Glinda and she was Elphaba. That, folks was the highlight of my night. Really.

Just as we'd been apprised, after intermission, Kristin asked for a volunteer to sing with her. Before Kristin had completed her invitation, a young girl catapulted herself from her seat to her sandals. Patty, ever so gently, but firmly, grabbed my right arm and shook her head with a firm "no". With hesitation, but the heart of a mother, I relented.

Kristin, with her arm wrapped tightly around the girl sang the first verse, offering support and confidence to a girl whose knees were trembling slightly. When the duet partner opened her mouth, we were all stunned. She had real talent. Jackie was so talented that Kristin felt compelled to tell the audience that her duet partner wasn't a "plant". At the end, while Kristin was smothering Jackie with a motherly bear hug, the audience rose to its feet and erupted with thunderous applause. It was easy to see that Kristin remembered what it was like to be a dreaming 14 year old. In darling diva fashion after having told the audience to remember Jackie's name she said, "Now. Get off the stage." Perfect.

Assuming I'd been successful--which frankly, I WOULD HAVE BEEN! Patty gave Jackie, the 14 year old Broadway wannabe the pinnacle experience of her life. Patty also offered her old friend Lori a gift in return. I was able to relish the moments of watching a dream come true for a little girl--a little girl with this memory and only dreams ahead of her. I also witnessed the stars in Patty's eyes twinkle as she leapt to her feet with a loud whoop. Patty remembered too.

See, this is a perfect Life is a Musical moment. Cue strings.

 "Because I knew you, I have been changed for good."




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! As the Houston friend who gave the advance notice on the duet, I, too, hoped Kristin could discover the talents of Patty Breckenridge. But, alas, Patty knew something we didn't about planting dreams!

    ReplyDelete