Monday, December 14, 2015

I'm the Sally Field of Facebook

I'm still pondering social media. My friend Dawn's comment that she uses Facebook as a sort of life newspaper made great sense. I do that too. And yet, I think.... Strike that I know that I use it interactively.

I like feedback from others. I loved seeing those metal stars—the ones you lick on the back—placed on my papers at Dwight D. Eisenhower Elementary School. Getting report cards and reading what my teachers had to say about me was exciting. Although I cannot recall my very first emotional response to being on stage, I know that hearing an audience laugh at a well delivered line and then hearing applause at curtain hooked me into performing.

I haven't worked in an office setting for years. I enjoyed clutching a cup of coffee and chatting about last night's episode of ER or hearing someone tell me a story about a mischievous child. As the receptionist at an ad agency in Portland, I was happy when people would hover in my area and kibitz. I am amused easily and I get a kick out of hearing stories and sharing mine. 

Last week I experienced a first. I used the last bit of dental floss and threw away an empty container.

TWICE IN ONE DAY!!

(FYI. I keep dental floss in multiple places in my home and car. Dental work necessity.)

I've never asked a single person this question:

“How many empty containers of dental floss have you tossed out?”

But, deep in the profound recesses of my philosophical mind, I knew this was rare and worthy of some kind of reward. 

I couldn't tell my dentist because that's admitting that for 49 other years I wasn't flossing regularly. I wonder how many empty spools of floss a dentist throws away annually?

You feel a little silly calling someone to brag about hygiene. Only a rare friend really wants to listen to that. I would be that friend, though, just in case you reach a life milestone with a bizarre twist. Cuz really. There are 5000 miles of floss on one spool!

It was text worthy, for sure. Mary would instantly text something back far wittier than anything I could have thought of hours after the conversation. But, what do you do when your gut is pleading for more than one high five? 

POST ON FACEBOOK!

It’s the best licky star ever. Hearing that pleasant metallic gong when someone likes your comment. And again. Again. Driving to carpool line. Parking the car to see 10 notifications in your window. TEN FRIENDS are proud of me! FIFTEEN FRIENDS think I’m funny. FIVE FRIENDS like AND comment. We’re exchanging witty banter! I’m so popular! Everyone likes me.

We all extrapolate what we post. In response, we can also interpret a like or a comment in the way that works for us as well. That can be true in the positive or the negative. "Oh! He thinks I'm funny!" Or “Well, she has no sense of humor anyway.” She’s hidden. Or if she’s just not funny at all, ever, UNFRIENDED.

My point? Take the grain of salt approach. Is social media interaction fun? Yes. Is it validating? Yes. It can be. It can also be extraordinarily helpful too. When I was needing advice for my trial on my best option for bags under my eyes, I got a ton of great advice. I learned that Preparation H with biodyne, only sold in Canada or foreign markets is THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN THE UNIVERSE!! 

If, however, I attach my personal value to the comments or likes or thumbs up of others, then I’ve got some rocky living ahead. Social commentary is a precarious anchor for your self esteem.

Our world is jacked up. I find it astonishing that even with great education about bullying, more than ever adults bully each other on social media without reservation and with entitlement.

But let me be very clear. When I post that I get extra credit for reading Jonathon Franzen’s newest tome since it’s in .17 point type, please like and comment. Because his 600 pages are like 5 volumes of a Brittanica. With NO PICTURES.




No comments:

Post a Comment