Monday, September 21, 2015

Invisibility

I was in a hurry. Which makes me sweat. It was August in Dallas. Which makes me sweat. I was a teensy bit anxious. Which makes me sweat. I am menopausal. Enough said.

I was wearing a fitted poly-knit shirt in light blue. I dashed into my Neighborhood Wal-Mart Market and bought that special occasion antiperspirant guaranteed to clog up your sweat glands and keep rings the size of your head from developing under your pits. (It will probably give me dementia or cause long term hearing loss. I don't care. Sweating at work is gross.)

With the truck on and the air conditioner blasting in my face, I bit off the edge of that evil plastic ring thing. I yanked up my shirt, lifted my left arm and rolled the clear container as fast as I could click the bottom. I repeated on the right side. I remembered what happens to endowed women in heat and started applying there as well.

As I lifted my gaze, I saw movement in the car parked in front of me. Through the tinted windows, I saw an older man with eyes wide open. Think surprised Marty Feldman. He was wiping his hand over his brow.

Bless his heart. I either scared him into cardiac arrest or I gave him the worst peep show of his life. Maybe both. And he thought he was gonna nap while Ethel bought milk of magnesia and paper towels.

Amazing how quickly things shoot through my mind....I thought, "What would Carol do? "
"NOTHING!!! CAROL would NEVER put deodorant on in her car!"

Carol, my older sister is the portrait of refinement and grace.

"I'm NOT Carol!"
"Dang."
"This is gonna be a GREAT blog!"

"WWLD?"

I met his gaze, smiled crookedly and waved while cackling aloud.

Granted, I was in a hurry...but some of you are asking the obvious question, "Lori, do you think you're invisible?"

Well.

Kind of.

I'm not sure exactly when it happened; but, I stopped being noticed in public. I didn't realize it at first. I can't even pinpoint a year, really. I just woke up and I was the weird person staring at someone else at stoplights. I was the lady who got handed a receipt without a glance. I was getting shoulder bumped because people were looking down or away from my face--YEARS before cell phones. Whether it was weight gain, the blank expression, motherhood, emotional indifference, or some sort of super power, I was living without being seen.

That's helpful sometimes. For example, don't you kind of feel anonymous in the drive through at Dairy Queen or McDonalds? Chick-fil-A is harder because it's always their pleasure to serve you. It's freeing to go to a movie alone with a trough of popcorn and sense that no one is glancing your way. This is probably my craziest idea....but somehow I always think that I'm particularly ghost-like while jogging outside. People avoid looking at fatties exercising in public. (I promise you I'm right. If you're skinny, you don't know.) Aside from jerks who might roll down a window to remind me I've got junk in my trunk, "Wow? Really I had NO IDEA!", I feel like people never even notice me. Fat is my invisibility cloak. OK, maybe there are some skinny girls who are glad that at least she's trying. They're also secretly hoping I've always been fat--thus their immunity from future public humiliation.

Having spent my early years clamoring for any and all attention I could direct my way, I found it relaxing to NOT be noticed. One summer when Annie Beth was a toddler, I attended a psychology conference with Richard. He was getting continuing education hours and I was particularly impressed by the speaker in a pre-conference seminar. There was a discount for spouses, so we paid the money and I attended.

James Olthius had just published his book, The Beautiful Risk and the seminar was both lecture and process oriented. What I learned challenged my new found freedom. Without a dry lesson on early attachment theory, I can frame a portion of Olthius' thinking in a few lines. Imagine an infant. (If you pause at the end of each sentence it helps to absorb the concept) He calls this the Love Pattern.
I see.
I see you.
I see you seeing me.
I am seen.
I feel loved.

I (is forming)

I see.
I see you.
I love you.

We (is forming)

This is also true with hearing; but, for my point today, we're focusing on being seen.

What was particularly troubling at the time was his next point with the variables reversed.
   A Nonlove Pattern

I see.
I see you.
I see you not seeing me.
I am not seen.
I am not loved.

Am I?

I? see.
I? see you?
I? //// you.

We?

Of course there are many variables involved with this theory; but, I began to understand that for me, this invisibility I was experiencing was far more than just a not being noticed issue. It was an awakening in two ways:

1. It helped me recognize a void of feeling loved.
2. It made me aware that I had power to help others feel loved with eye contact and listening. (the other key variable.)

You ever meet one of those children who is all arms, legs, and volume just to get acknowledgment from you? Lack of connection makes us all a little like that initially. Eventually, it can also result in withdrawal and depression, even death. In my case, I was just too tired and too spent to clamor for attention. I'd become unsure of who I was.

There are plenty of short cuts and substitutes. But....human connection, real connection is hard work and living with the illusion of wearing an invisibility cloak isn't a great option. It's impossible to force others to respond in a way you'd like them to. For me, that involved major shifts of personal patterns and eventually a decision to end my marriage.

I did discover that intentional eye contact with people makes a difference--especially with people who might be accustomed to being ignored. I don't remember names anymore--including my 3rd cat....sidebar. I feel so sorry for child 3 of 4 or more in a family. They NEVER get called the right name. I don't know the names of the employees at McDonalds and Chicken Express; but, I know who they are. I do know Paige at Chick-Fil-A because she tells me so every school morning at 7:00 am. I'm never going to invite any of them to my home. But, they are people I see every day and they matter.

I KNOW I'm not invisible and my esteem isn't dependent upon the constant recognition of others anymore; but, I do promise to be more concerned with stripping in my car from this point on. Should I forget next time, I'll tap on the window and offer that poor man some sweat proof deodorant. If he comes prepared with his granddaughter's iPhone, I'll be grateful he won't know how to post on Instagram.



No comments:

Post a Comment